Human Perception and Performance
How do you avoid accidents while driving? How do you make the right decision when it matters? I use behavior and eye tracking methods to better understand these behaviors, specifically focussing on how people learn to successfully and automatically implement context-appropriate behavior.
- Whitehead, P.S., Pfeuffer, C. U., Egner, T. (2020). Memories of control: One-shot episodic learning of item-specific stimulus-control associations. Cognition.
- Whitehead, P.S. & Egner, T. (2018). Cognitive control over prospective task-set interference. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Human Perception and Performance.
- Whitehead, P.S. & Egner, T. (2018). Frequency of prospective use modulates instructed task-set interference. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Human Perception and Performance.
Memory and Attention
How do you find your keys in the morning, or remember where you left your bag? I use EEG and behavior to better understand how what you keep in memory influences what you pay attention to.
- Whitehead, P.S., Ooi, M.M., Egner, T., Woldorff, M.G. (2019). Neural Dynamics of Cognitive Control over Working Memory Capture of Attention. Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience.
What makes one person choose product A over product B? Another the reverse? I use large scale behavioral assessments to understand individual differences in cognition and decision making between people, with a focus on higher-order processes such as executive function and cognitive control.
- Whitehead, P.S., Brewer, G.A., Blais, C. (2018). Are cognitive control processes reliable?. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Learning, Memory, and Cognition.